Skip to main content

About the Name

I've only ever read one Stephen King book, Needful Things (1991), more than a decade ago. That particular story wasn't enough to convert me to fandom. Other than feeling underwhelmed, I recall it familiarizing me with Sandy Koufax, a baseball great. As a result, Needful Things and Sandy Koufax have become synonymous to me.

Nonetheless, in searching for an appropriate name for this blog (Portable Magic Reviews) I came across a quotation from King that I thought was very apt to communicate this blog's focus/purpose and why I wanted to join in on Cannonball Read 6: "Books are a uniquely portable magic."

Indeed they are!

Despite falling off my consistent reading wagon for longer than I care for, the act of reading evokes in me that feeling of wonder and magic. Immersed in a good book, whether my favorite historical romance novels or a heart wrenching realistic fiction, I am transported into a world that offers me an escape, that enables me to make better sense of my reality, and that challenges me to empathize with someone else's experience, among other things.

Therein lies the magic of books. :)

Comments