Skip to main content

The "Fangirl" Life Is Not for Me

I generally try to avoid anything that is a "hit" or trending with the masses. In fact, the more something is a "hit," the less likely I am to consume it, for my tastes often seem to not be aligned with the crowd's.

At CBR, Rainbow Rowell is a hit, so much so that, for many, anything she writes is an automatic "must buy." A couple of years back, I chose to find out if all the hype was warranted by reading Attachments (2011), her debut novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, though for seemingly different reasons: I loved the male protagonist whereas others loved the cleverness of the email exchanges between the two female characters.

Fangirl (2013) is another of Rowell's character-driven  YA novels that has been well-received by readers and well-reviewed by critics. As of this post, it has a slightly higher rating on Goodreads (4.12) than her very much revered Eleanor & Park (4.11), also published in 2013.

A coming-of-age story, Fangirl relates a year in the life of Cather (Cath) Avery, an anxiety-prone, introverted/anti-social/socially inept fangirl of the Simon Snow series (a Harry Potter-like equivalent) and college freshman who doesn't want to let go or grow up and out of her childhood obsession. Her twin sister Wren has, and that, along with some serious concerns related to their parents, causes some conflicts between the two as they navigate and transition from adolescence to adulthood-range.

I am not a fan of Fangirl. I will not remember it with fondness as I do Attachments, as I found Cath to be whiny, annoying, and full of herself; the plot--such as it was--too slow; and the overall novel unnecessarily long. And just as with Attachments, my favorite character is the male lead. In this case, Levi, a sweet, sensitive, chivalrous 21-year-old who is practically a patron saint of patience.

Rainbow Rowell is an engaging writer, so for all I didn't like about the book, Rowell is gifted in being able to create memorable characters and worlds that seem relatable and authentic. Still, I could not get beyond thinking that this story is just OK.

Crossposted at CBR.




Comments