Skip to main content

Read but Not Reviewed for 2016's CBR8: Part 2

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (2013) by Chris Grabenstein is one of the very few children's books I've read this year. For me, it is a mix of Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) and Raskin's The Westing Game (1978).

Mr. Lemoncello is a modern day Willy Wonka who loves puzzles and books, and the story Grabenstein spins is a captivating one. The book is a page turner, an overall good update to Willy Wonka, with a very likable narrator in Kyle Keeley. The English teacher in me appreciates the author's goal to encourage kids to read by understanding and experiencing libraries as magical places. (Rating: 3.5/5).

Waiting for Clark (2015) by Annabeth Albert was another read based on a CBR review. It's also another of those m/m romances that I absolutely loved. At ninety-five pages, the story was wholly satisfying and just about the right length.

Five years ago, as college roomies, Bryce Weyland and Clark Kenmore shared a kiss, one that changed everything. Clark went away to pursue a prestigious academic opportunity and is now back in town, ready to reconnect with his best friend. Clark surprises Bryce by meeting him at a comic convention where Bryce is dressed up as Batman and he as Superman. From that moment on, the chemistry between the two is magnetic, the kryptonite being only their fear of being honest and open about their real desires.

Waiting for Clark was a great read. I loved the two characters and their chemistry. Tender and sweet, there was no real angst or melodrama. Unrelated: I love the book's cover. (Rating: 3/5).

A rare male POV contemporary romance, Ready to Fall (2013) by Daisy Prescott was not a fun read. I think I skimmed it after the halfway point because I didn't know where the story was heading and I found myself not being invested enough to be patient. (Rating: 1/5)

Tessa Dare's The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright (2012) is a novella I picked up after reading a review on CBR. What can I say? While a perfectly fine story, I didn't quite love it. Something about the banter between Mr. Wright and Ms. Elizabeth Cade on their brief encounters over the years felt a bit too precious. (Rating: 2/5)


I'm not sure how I came upon Verismo (2015) by E.M. Lindsey, but it was quite an interesting and different read...quite different from the few other m/m romances I've read this year.

Nicholas and Cedric are musical prodigies who've suffered from emotional abuse at the hands of their parents. The two meet when they both attend the University of Washington: Nicholas as an accomplished guest lecturer and Cedric as a student. The story of how these two come together while healing from their past is wonderful.

There's a lot going on with this story. Though I loved it and thought it well-written, it's not one I'm likely to re-read when I need to be uplifted. That's because a lot of emotional suffering at the hands of parents are included and the psychological damage that results is truly upsetting.

Lindsey does an effective job of creating what I think to be a very original story, one that is complex, nuanced, and showcases her knowledge of music. Another aspect of this story that I really appreciate is that it's one of the few m/m romances I've read where the focus isn't on writing a steamy sex scene every other page. (Rating: 3/5)

Comments