Skip to main content

Kid Thrill: The Recruit, The Graphic Novel by Muchamore

Adapted by Ian Edginton from Robert Muchamore’s popular teen-spy series, The Recruit: The Graphic Novel (2013) stars James Choke, a preteen on a path to delinquency who is placed in foster care after his obese mother suddenly dies. The opportunity to transform his life comes about when he is recruited to train and become a member of CHERUB, a covert intelligence organization for children.

The Recruit is the first graphic novel I read that was not based on a story already known by me. Marvel's graphic adaptation of Pride and Prejudice is the only other graphic novel I had previously read. Familiar with the story, my focus in reading the graphic version was on whether a comprehensive version of the novel was represented. I was less interested (or familiar) with whether the artwork or layout were of good quality and did justice to the characters and story.

I imagine that's what comic book/graphic novel aficionados focus on. I went to an NCTE conference a couple of years ago. One workshop was on the merits of "graphica" as legitimate options for classroom reading. A leading researcher in the field focused on the complex levels of literacy involved when those experienced with reading graphic novels read them. What stands out to me is that for the experienced graphic novel enthusiast, color, panels, proximity, along with many other elements, matter in interpreting and evaluating the quality of a graphic novel. Words are secondary to the visual elements.

In reading The Recruit: The Graphic Novel, my focus was on the story, for that is my main entry point. The introductory pages present a rather bleak existence and gritty environment. The protagonist's struggles were rather raw and intense, so much so that I wondered whether the book was appropriate for my 8th graders. The visual representation of the sad state of the character's life and troubles simply seemed too raw and depressing. A tonal change occurs, finally, when James is recruited by CHERUB, goes through his training, and goes on his mission.

On the whole, the graphic novel told an appealing story. I mean, what kid doesn't love the idea of being a spy? In that regard, it was a thrilling fantasy. Adapted from an original text that I haven't yet read, I will say that I thought the graphic novel lacked coherence in terms of timeline and sequence. At times it seemed there was inconsistency in how the characters look. For example, the image James on the cover is inconsistent with some of the ones within the pages. I was surprised that he was only 12 based on his depiction on the cover.

Overall, it's a text that interested my male and reluctant readers. It is worth recognizing in that regard.

Comments