Skip to main content

Lameness Verified: 10 Years Later by J. Sterling

I think I should approach cheap romances available on Amazon written by new-to-me authors with "Lowered Expectations" (cue music from said segment from In Living Color). Had I taken that approach, I wouldn't have felt as cheated as I did after reading J. Sterling's 10 Years Later (2015) which I expected to be a sentimental second-chance romance about first love lost and found after having read the sample chapters downloaded on my Kindle.

10 Years Later started off promisingly enough with the alternating first person perspectives of Cammie (a radio producer) and Dalton (an undercover cop), high school sweethearts who lost contact after a fallout at the end of their senior year but who had been pining for each other ever since. Ten years later, their high school reunion provides them with the opportunity to reconnect.

The story was interesting up to the point when they reconnected at their reunion. Everything after that point is irrelevant because there is NO PLOT, no complications to move the story forward. There also is no pop, no fizz, no nothing between the characters or in the story, which includes many meaningless flashbacks.

10 Years Later is pure cheese, full of cliches, bad execution, and characters who seem to have been in arrested development. When the cause of their big break up is revealed, the lame factor of the characters and this "romance" got verified.

There is nothing else to say other than that what started off as an engaging read turned out to be The. Most. Boring romance novel I've ever read.

Comments