Skip to main content

Where Did the Romance Go?

Found in nearly every corner occupied by a sitting or lounging furniture in my apartment are small stacks of paperback historical romance novels. Though they are still prominent in my living space, they represent a seemingly long lost period for me, one in which romance novels offered escape into an idealized, long-gone era and presented a world inhabited by sophisticated and gallant heroes and unconventional heroines. So what if the heroes and heroines were bound by strict societal norms and habiliments? Their chemistry and love for each other would help them overcome!

There was a time when I would and could binge-read historical romances at the expense of developing conversational skills. In every purse was a novel that served as a buffer against idle chit chat. I would spend no more than a couple of days reading them, so voracious was I in reading these historical romances. It comes as a surprise, then, that I cannot remember when my consumption of these books stopped. Maybe it was when the core authors I read began to expand to hardcover titles not focused on romance or when it seemed like I had read every book they had written. I'm not sure. All I know is that it has been a struggle for me to find titles that I could lose myself reading or authors who could convert me to fandom. I thought I was in luck when I came across Julia Quinn a few years ago, but I found myself turning passive towards her work for a few reasons:
  1. All the characters of her stories inhabit the same world. It became difficult for me to keep track of who's who, especially with her many allusions to previous characters and situations.
  2. Many of her books are part of a series. I'm not into series (for the reason listed above). 
  3. Her books are hit or miss, for me. There's never a middle ground.
  4. While humorous, her Regency romances are very much like those of Jane Austen: nothing really happens. The plot revolves around a lot of talk, balls, walks, and letter writing. I love reading / experiencing about the courtship, but I also like there to be some sexual tension and action.
Have I outgrown romance novels? I don't know and I hope not. All I'm sure of at the moment is that I've been disappointed with the romance novels I've bought of late--even the ones I've managed to finish. I don't know if it's a case of me struggling to evolve after having read the same authors for the past twenty years, but I'm seriously bummed out that I've not been able to binge on reading romances in the way that I used to. I feel so disconnected from the current world of romance novels. Nowadays, whenever I want to completely immerse myself into a romance novel that I am sure to enjoy, I automatically reach for my yellowed copy of Amanda Quick's Ravished (1992) or Miranda Lee's A Weekend to Remember (1996). 

I'd like to think romances of that caliber still exist. Do they?

Comments