Skip to main content

Romance Experience: A Reflection

Catherine Coulter's Night Storm (1990) was my first. I was a freshman in high school, and it happened in Civics class. "Girl, you gotta read this!" a classmate exclaimed. She grinned as she beckoned me to read a sizzling passage from the novel.

Fourteen and innocent, I could not believe that such eroticism existed in the pages of books that were readily available at my local library.  After such temptation, I could not wait until she finished the book to lend to me, so after school, I walked down to my local library to get my copy. I consumed it within a couple of days, read the other two books in the Night series, and began my love affair with reading romance novels, in particular, and reading, in general.
romance-novel-facts-ftrMembership into the Harlequin book club quickly followed. (How I found the money to retain my membership remains a wonder to me because I did not work throughout high school.) I spent every waking hour reading the Harlequin 
Presents series; Penny Jordan and Miranda Lee became favorites.

In the early years, I "experimented" a bit and became familiar and likely read all the books by the following authors: Catherine Coulter, Jayne Anne Krentz/Amanda Quick, Johanna Lindsey, Judith McNaught, Judith Michael, Karen Robards, Nora Roberts, and Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. I also read titles by other authors whose names I don't recall. Along the way, I gained understanding of the type of romances I like to read: historical/Regency romances all the way!
  • Viking romances don't seem romantic enough. I also didn't care much for the kidnapped, weak woman who eventually fell in love with her captor storylines.
  • I don't really enjoy romances with Americans going to Europe and vice versa. Not escapist enough.
  • Having said that, I also don't like romances with seafaring men--American or otherwise. The only "romance" that I love that fits this bill is Austen's Persuasion, which is my favorite of her novels.
  • Other than Coulter's stories which are generally one and dones, I don't care much for romances taking place in small towns where I am introduced to many characters who are part of an ongoing series. Those tend to lack sizzle and are too realistic. 
  • I don't do paranormal (other than Krentz/Quick's Arcane Society novels) or fantasy romances--just too unrealistic.
  • I am somewhat selective in reading contemporary romances. While not my first preference, depending on the writer's style, I am able to get lost in and enjoy some. I just find that I am less willing to suspend belief when I read them.
In my twenty years of reading romances, I have not strayed from the authors who I read when I got started. Many of them, (Coulter, Lindsey, Robards, Roberts) to my chagrin, have transitioned from writing pure romances, which has created a bit of a problem for me. I am in a slump because I find newer romance writers lacking. In reading new authors, such as Julia Quinn who I found out about two years ago, I find myself comparing her to Amanda Quick. While Quinn's novels fit my criteria of being period romances, her romances are much like Jane Austen's: nothing really happens. Though Quinn's characters are likable, her stories lack the sexual sizzle and dramatic suspense that are found in Quick's romances.

As a result, I find myself reading some bad romances, downloaded from Amazon, of late. I get what I pay for, I guess, but who knew that everyone who fancies herself a writer would also think that romance was the right niche for her? 

It is with nostalgia that I reflect on my experience with romance novels. It is through reading them that I developed my vocabulary and my love of reading. Reading them (re-reading my favorites, specifically) offers me the tranquility and escapism that I seek in moments of stress and relaxation.

Comments